Monday, July 2, 2007

Kitchen Tablecloths

Tablecloths come in every size, shape and color imaginable. Some people like solid colors, and others like different textures or designs on their tablecloths. My favorite kind are the old vintage tablecloths. They are hard to find. And when they can be found, the prices can be very high. Some fabric stores have vintage fabric. It was when I came across some beautiful pieces that I decided to make tablecloths of my own. To make them even more attractive, I crocheted several inches out from the edge with matching thread. Many of my friends and family have enjoyed getting some of them as one of a kind gifts. I stitched them all by hand from the hem to crochet. Some are quite large, and took many hours to make; but a lot of enjoyment came from the time spent. The time and effort of my work put into them today might someday be close to that of what the vintage tablecloths from yesteryear are now!

The tablecloths can be stacked in various ways to make them more attractive too. A circular tablecloth may be layed over a square one so that only the pointed edges of the bottom one show. They don't have to match perfectly. I've seen this done several times at parties, and the tables were very attractive with vintage dishes containing wonderful food displayed on them.

No comments: