Saturday, January 19, 2008

Sea Salt For Reducing High BP

Sea salt has become an ingredient we are beginning to see used more often in recipes. I have been using it in all of the dishes I cook; and I have not noticed a difference in the flavor. That is a good thing. I am going to try using it in my baking recipes next. I soon will have another blog to let my readers know of this venture in baking with sea salt.

I am using about one third less of the sea salt measurement than iodized salt in my recipes. It has certainly helped with keeping my blood pressure under control, and others have told me the same. My doctor first told me to try the sea salt. I'm glad I did. It may be a matter of taste to some people, but I like sea salt. Baked potatoes are delicious when rubbed all over with a mixture of one half tsp. sea salt, a small pat of butter and one half tsp. garlic powder. This amount of the mixture will do for several potatoes. Wrap each potato completely up in a square of aluminum foil, place it in a hot oven until done; and you will really enjoy the flavor! Hint: when using the foil, always make sure the folds are pointing up to reduce the chance of juices from the mixture seeping out of the foil and starting a fire in your oven. When preparing the baked potatoes in this manner there is a crustiness on the outside that is pleasant to most people's taste buds too. This aids in the flavor of the potato skin. This will benefit people by eating more fiber from this vegetable too!

Sea salt is becoming a common ingredient found in most super market chains now. If it is not where the iodized salt is on the grocer's shelf, ask an associate if they carry the product. It may be found in the health food section of some stores. Look for it stored with the spices too.

As a test for your family, use the sea salt without mentioning the switch from iodized salt. Listen for comments on the taste of the food. Then...tell your family of the change you are making for a healthier style of eating.

No comments: